Wednesday, March 5, 2008

In Memory of Polaroid

Tanzania and Rwanda


Since Polaroid announced it will no longer manufacture its cameras or its film, I thought it would be a good time to post some of my last polariod shots, which I took in Africa a couple years ago.  I brought along a Polariod, because I figured most of the people I would be taking pictures of were used to having their picture taken but not used to getting to keep the picture.   I thought it would be an equal exchange, and even give us a way to interact beyond the language barrier. 

It was somewhat successful.  Though, there were a few times when polaroids were not appreciated and almost seemed like an insult.  This was the case in the photo of the three women in front of the sand dune.  They had seen their fair share of tourists in their time, and were none too happy about engaging without monetary compensation.  You can see it on their faces.  Which is fair enough, I suppose.  Other times, like the Muslim girls in Zanzibar, people were only too happy to get a photo, or 2 or 3 from a tourist.  But either way, I liked watching it unfold.  I liked watching how people reacted, what they wanted photographed, what they were proud of, what they thought was beautiful.  Alot of times, I would get direction from them on how and what to photograph.  That whole experience was interesting to me.  Vanity is universal.

Too, I just liked the idea of taking pictures of these people with their Polaroid.  And I do really like these pictures....  

Particularly the last one.  She's hiding.


No comments: