Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Money Shot

New York, NY



Elle Decor is doing a spread on Keith's apartment and I was there to "cover the action".  I must say, there is a part of me that is envious of their schedule.  I think they pulled off 2 set ups all day.  Which is not to say they weren't productive.  Most of the time, they were contending with variant light and spent a good deal of time waiting for the sun to peak out from behind the clouds.  

But I am envious.  The number of times key moments in a shoot happen in florescent lights or in the darkness of night leaves me longing for that luxury.  Can't tell a subject in the middle of a breakdown to wait for the clouds to clear.  In my world, it's a completely different game.  I equate my job with a little like betting on the weather.  Trying to manage the moment, the scene, the lighting, the audio, and the emotional sensitivity of a scene - and hope your gamble pays off. It's not chance, but it's not total control either.  As you can imagine, the control freak in me never quite finds the satisfaction he is looking for.  Which has been good training for my life outside work.  

Though I must admit, when I have a fantastic (meaningful, beautiful, ... whatever) moment in life,  I do always think of how this moment should be filmed.  Almost like Im scripting my life in a more romantic way - shaping the story of my past and thinking or figuring out how to relay that story on camera in the future.

Does that sound crazy?  


No comments: