Monday, November 9, 2009

The Soul(less) Train

Atlanta, GA

My DP is a curmudgeon. Hard wired for negativity... which is sometimes amusing, but more often a bore.

But recently, things changed. He fell in love. Fell hard and fast and 3 weeks after meeting his lovely lady (who I adore), they toured the mediterranean and got engaged. As a result, his entire pessimistic world view has crumbled around him - which of course makes him a much more interesting person to be around.

Its been a couple months now. And, I have gone from thinking I should never work with him again, to really liking the guy. He's a little bit crazy (obviously). He's a pessimist trapped in an optimistic situation. He's conflicted and in love and a little bit of a mess. He wants to embrace the sappiness but can't totally allow that. Every other word is still "fuck" - but its "fuck" with a half smile. Cause he's half - happy.

So tonight, while we were lining the red carpet, jockeying with hundreds of others for a shot no one really cared about, I knew he just wanted to get back to the room to call her. Normally, that would upset me, but not now. I believe that passion actually makes his work better. He is more present and more alive. He does a great job, has a great eye, and so what if he is counting the minutes till his next phone call. He's in love and I like to be around that. It's a beautiful thing.

Here he is on set before the Soul Train Music Awards (yep - they're back)



1 comment:

Stephanie Torresi said...

I once worked as a translator for someone who sounds kind of like this guy. Only he didn't fall in love and become kind of nice. I cringed with internal pain almost every time I had to translate what he said. And I think it's a good thing Italians aren't allowed to carry firearms because I'm pretty sure that if they were I would have been shot for having to say what I did on his behalf.