Saturday, July 19, 2008

Dodging the Ball

Barrydale, South Africa


I was taking this picture, thinking how much I dreaded games involving balls when I was younger. Baseball, football, basketball.  Anything ending in "ball".   I couldn't catch, couldn't throw.  The ball was my enemy.  Dodging the ball was a way of life.  So, obviously, it was the only game that didn't leave lasting psychological scars.  I was pretty good at running.  And pretty good at hiding too.  So, Hide and Seek, along with other games that don't have national leagues, like Red Rover, Musical Chairs, and Connect Four, were more my forte.  


While I was watching these kids, I was looking for that one kid that didn't want to be there.  I always do that when  I see kids playing.  You can usually spot the miserable outcast pretty quickly.  But these kids were all genuinely enjoying themselves.  And that made me happy.  It looked like they were playing some strange hybrid between volleyball and dodgeball.  

4 comments:

Stephanie Torresi said...

Hurray for the return of the Solitary Cameraman! I have missed your posts!!!!!

As for this post, I know exactly what you mean. I HATED P.E. when I knew there was some "ball" sport involved. I am the most uncoordinated person that I know. Add a ball to my clumsiness, and the result is disaster and all of the other kids hating me because I would be the one responsible for losing the game for the team. The reason I didn't mind dodgeball too much was that I would always try to get hit with the ball first so that I could sit on the side. Since the goal was to go on as long as possible without getting hit, that usually meant that I only had to participate in two or three rounds for a few minutes and could spend most of the other P.E. hour daydreaming away. I would sometimes try to make it look like I was really trying to not get hit because the coach was always on to me about being the first one out, but I never let it go on more than about 3 minutes. I would try to look disappointed when I got hit...but inside I was so happy!

BillGoat said...

I like ball sports - but I was best at kickball. I could kick the ball the farthest when I was in 2nd grade. SO I was picked first all of the time. Probably a good thing that there was no "Teams" in running, or I would be picked last!

Jeremy said...

stephanie, we both know P.E. was for losers. no one ever changed the world by getting at A in P.E.

Jeremy said...

and B - I know you kick, throw, tackle, and catch real good. but you draw much much better...