Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A Tree House in Appalachia

Near Newport, PA

This is Dennis.  He lives down a long dirt road, in a small clearing of trees, totally and completely removed from any sign of human life.  
Dennis is the Pennsylvania State Apiary Inspector by day, but when he comes home, you see him as he was meant to be, totally and completely surrounded by nature.  
He has an open house.  No windows, only screens.  Really nothing more than a wood floor and a roof.  I wondered if he got cold in the winter.  He says he just throws on an extra duvet at night.  I ask if the rain ever gets to him.  he says sometimes it soaks the bed , but it's a small price to pay.  I ask him what his wife thinks of all this.  He was a little less direct with that response.  And she wasn't there to answer for herself.

Dennis spends alot of time out in the elements, collecting things that interest him and putting them in resin blocks.  Leaves and insects, mostly.  He has taken these resin blocks and created incredible pieces with them.  Below, you will see a chandelier that he is currently working on.  As well as a box filled with bits yet to be incorporated into larger projects.

Being with him as he enthusiastically shared his passion for his lifestyle - his home and his hobbies - as well as his philosophies on life, was truly a highlight for me.  It was a beautiful night, he cooked steaks for me and Goro, the cameraman.  We watched hummingbirds and deer and drank beer.  After a particularly difficult shoot, it was greatly appreciated.  He claims that I am suffering from NDD - Nature Deficit Disorder.  That may be true, though I don't think Id feel the same if I had visited him in early January...



2 comments:

BillGoat said...

Resin - just beautiful. I think I am going to have to learn. You know, you have the most interesting and VARIED adventures. I think you should put ADVENTURER on your business card.

Stephanie Torresi said...

I agree with Bill. You do have the most interesting adventures. I love reading about them!