Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Bitterroot



Hamilton, MT


Not many people live in the bitterroot valley. I think the biggest city is Hamilton, which can't be much more than 8,000 people. But they are an eclectic bunch. I spent a few days there, with Nicole and her mom Marilyn, who are two of the beekeepers I have been following for the documentary. Luckily, there was a little downtime between shooting, when the ladies of bee management introduced me to what makes western montana fun (when you aren't working the hives). I will, in turn, share it with all of you. Here's a quick run down of what lurks just off the interstate.....


PINEDALE - just a mile up the road from Nicole lies one of the largest FLDS communities in the country. Its deep in the pine trees. Big houses. Lots of swing sets and not much else. Apparently, they are the object of local scorn, not because of their faith, or their polygamy, but because, as a religious group, they don't pay taxes. In the land of the montana freeman ....well, that kind of thing is a big deal.





THE CAR MAN - so, just behind this beat up old house, is this huge yard full of hundreds and hundreds of cars.  Really amazing stuff, and Im not even a car guy.  Actually, cars bore me completely, but this was incredible.  From the 38 Chevy in mint condition featured in this photo (which looked like pure evil to me) 
to the  seemingly never-ending rows of cars in all states of disrepair from every decade of the last century.  You would be stunned.  I liked the license plates.  and I learned that Montana was known as THE TREASURE STATE before BIG SKY COUNTRY.   Which, knowing how my mind works, is probably the thing I am most likely to remember 10 years from now. 

THE ROCKY KNOB - No photos allowed in this joint.  I know this because a lady in a halter top (despite the subfreezing tempuratures) told me that taking pictures could be hazardous to my health.  Of course, then she held her hand up like she expected me to kiss it.  So who knows. This was just about the liveliest,  engaging bunch of noontime boozers I have ever seen.  The beer on tap was called BongWater, the disco ball was broken, and the smokers were "alive with Pleasure"

I like it when Im a little scared and a little excited at the same time.  So, you can be sure I liked the Rocky Knob.


2 comments:

BillGoat said...

HA! your blog is amazing - I can't believe that car. It looks pure evil!!! I learn a lot from your trips - glad I can read about them! And see great photos.

Stephanie Torresi said...

I have an aunt who has just moved to Montana. I'm going to have to tell her to get to Rocky Knob. Sounds fantastic. Based on her stories and the occasional crime report from her local newspaper that she forwards to me, sounds pretty entertaining.