Friday, April 25, 2008

Why I Love Bill


Los Angeles, CA

One year, early on in our relation- ship, Bill gave me a painting he made for me as a gift for Christmas. It was an odd one -featuring an overweight man in a trench coat on a rainy street, who appeared to be dreaming about a prostitute with smeared lipstick.


It makes me laugh just to think about it - all these years later.  It's really funny.  But it also makes me think of one of the things I love about Bill.  He isn't afraid to put himself on the line.  I always have been.  Everything I do has to be perfect.  Can't put anything out there unless it meets the Jeremy stamp of approval.

Such a sad way to live life.  Takes all the fun out of it.  Bad art is in some ways the best art. And its the only way to get to something meaningful, and fully realized.  Just like messy lives are sometimes just lives on the road to greatness.  At least, thats what I think....

Since then, Bill has definitely gone on to greatness, in my opinion.  He did a well received art show last year, and he's got a killer blog that he updates regularly called Goats Gruff.  But, I also think that the journey is never ending.  I sure hope that one day he paints a sequel to the Overweight man and the prostitute, cause I know that will mean that something truly special is sure to be just around the corner.  And until then, I can have a good laugh.

Thank you, B for the lesson, for showing me the importance of being vulnerable in life and in art, for being my partner these last 10 years, and for putting up with all my shit.  I love you.  


By the way, I took this picture in Bills childhood home in st louis, with some of his paintings from his "Nagel phase".   The other is from his art show.  I have no photos of the overweight man and the prostitute. But I just might take some this weekend. I think the world would be a better place with it were shared.


1 comment:

Stephanie Torresi said...

This blog entry has brought tears to my eyes. I really hope to get to meet Bill someday.